A message to our Members from Lidia Soto-Harmon, CEO, Girl Scouts Nations Capital
Dear Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital Members.
Thank you for participating in Girl Scouting. We are the premier leadership development organization for girls in kindergarten through 12th grade, providing girls with a fun, safe space to learn and grow for over 100 years. In fact, research shows 70-percent of women who hold leadership roles were Girl Scouts in their youth.
The Girl Scout mission and purpose have not and will not waiver—we are here for every girl. Our research, programs and delivery have a single focus—girls.
No matter how Boy Scouts may try to structure their brand and programming to include girls, the fact is, our program doesn’t just include girls, it’s developed specifically FOR girls.
Call to Action:
- We encourage the entire family to get involved; parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles can volunteer in different ways. We welcome all adults who want to invest in the next generation of female leaders to volunteer today.
- Keep communicating and talking. Describe our girl-only environment that keeps girls safe while delivering a tailor-made program just for her. If you’ve earned the Girl Scout Gold Award or any of the other highest awards, put it on your LinkedIn page, your bio, and your résumé.
- Prevent confusion in our communities, always insert “Girl” before Scouts, Girl Scouts. When one references scouting it does not differentiate between the programs, or draw the distinction to Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts is an independent organization, providing a single gender environment for girls, with so much to offer.
- Please join the Girl Scout Network on LinkedIn for interaction, collaboration and to further our Movement.
- Get ready for a new year, and renew your membership today. Current Girl Scouts who register now through June 30, 2018 will receive our Early Bird patch.
Thank you for all you do—and for making the choice that puts girls first!